Monday, January 16, 2012

On an Adventure

(Insert intense sounding music here) 


"From the African deserts of the Sahara... To the Jungles of the Amazon... Across the desolate prairie.... Through the frozen tundra of the Arctic... Around your own living room... IT'S AN ADVENTURE!!" 

Did you start singing in your head "One of these things is not like the other?" If so, don't feel bad. I woke up the other day singing "This is the song that never ends" from Lambchop for absolutely no reason AT ALL. (This is the song that never ends... it just goes on and on my friend... some people, started singing it not knowing what it was, but we'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends...) 

Whoops. There I go again. 

Anywho, back to the point at hand. You might have noticed that those first few adventurous locations all fit together-- minus the whole living room part. We are a world who (typically) loves excitement and adventure, especially when it comes to watching others attempt to "utilize resources" to survive. I mean, look at all of the shows on TV right now... Man Vs. Wild, Survivorman, Man Tracker, Man-Woman-Wild, Dual Survival, oh, and I feel like there was some reality show actually called "Survivor" if I remember correctly. 

I have no desire to go on any of those shows to try my hand at surviving strictly for an adventure or entertainment purposes. While I do enjoy eating raw rattlesnake and drinking my own urine every now and then (kidding! Totally kidding... Did I go too far?) I will remain in the comfort of my living room if given the choice. 

But great news. We can still have an adventure in our everyday lives. 

We can have an adventure with God. 

I am a planner and organizer. I love nothing more to have my battle plan lined out for the day and for it to exactly as planned. 

But that has happened probably twice in my 26 years on earth. 

Yes, I do have a general idea about some of the "big rocks" I would like to accomplish each day, but my Jesus Calling devotional the other day reminded me to leave room and flexibility  to allow the Lord to take me on an adventure all His own. 

I did. And He delivered. I was still able to "do" a majority of the things I needed to get done, but he also put a lot of fun and unexpected things into my day that really strengthened my heart. 

He allowed me to have an unexpected phone conversation with one of my best friends. He charged me to cook a meal for a fellow drill sergeant wife and serve their family. He even took my husband and I on a very spontaneous adventure to the PBR (professional bull riding, for all of you non-rodeo-ish people out there.) 

It was one of the best days I have had in quite a while. All because I leaned and focused on God all day... He took me on a fulfilling adventure, that started in my living room. 

Leave room in your life to go on adventures with God. He has called us to follow Him. And we are going to be in for an awesome, rewarding adventure. 

No raw rattlesnake or Arctic tundra required. 

With an adventurous heart, 
SGK 

"Just think—you don't need a thing, you've got it all! All God's gifts are right in front of you as you wait expectantly for our Master Jesus to arrive on the scene for the Finale. And not only that, but God himself is right alongside to keep you steady and on track until things are all wrapped up by Jesus. God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that." 1 Corinthians 1:6-8 (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment