Thursday, January 12, 2012

Let Him be Your Chicken Soup

Sometimes we just need to be comforted. 


I am not talking about the big life comfort-requirements such as dealing with grief or loss or tragedy. I am talking about everyday comforts. 

Comfort can come in many forms... Mine can usually include food, prayer and sometimes both. 

I made chicken noodle soup from scratch last night for supper. It happens to be one of my comfort foods. (If given the choice, I my comfort food is deep-fried and involves chocolate, but then things like that make me feel physically ill... so I just went for the chicken noodle soup.) 

It isn't necessarily the taste of the soup that warms me from the inside out, but rather the feelings associated with it. It is warm (duh) but also reminds me of other experiences when I received strength and comfort from it. I have eaten it when I am sick, lonely, lost or straight up lazy. (Lazy involved the canned version.) 

The last few weeks have been hectic. A LOT going on.  Nothing is significantly wrong in my life that I need full-blown comfort, but rather just a general pick-up-warm-and-fuzzy feeling. Some of my friends are struggling in different areas. The Enemy has been in my grill trying to distract from God's mission. And today especially, I am thankful for the combo of doing God's work on God's time.

Hence the chicken noodle soup... And more Jesus time than ever before in my life. 

Think about how you feel when you eat comfort food... Soup, hot tea, fancy coffee, ice cream, whatever. It's January and granted, Georgia winters really don't get THAT cold (especially when compared to Kansas) but I love being warm and snuggly. 

However, I can't eat soup everyday until spring shows up. I have a feeling that might get boring. Plus my sodium would be through the roof. 

We can draw daily comfort from God. And we can even couple a healthy comfort food with Jesus. A couple of days ago, I was sipping my hot peppermint tea while doing my devotional. I nearly melted into the floor I felt so good.

God, just like our comfort foods, can warm us from the inside out. 

Take sometime today to spend some significant quiet time with God. Ask Him to warm you up from the inside out. Let Him be your chicken soup. 

It will be hmm hmmm good. I promise. 

Consumed from the inside out,
SGK 

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort..." 2 Corinthians 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment