Monday, January 30, 2012

Check it at the gate

"Attention passengers, flight 324 to Rome, Italy is now boarding." 

I am far from a professional flier. In fact, I was nearly a sophomore in college before I had the chance to fly for the first time. After that flight from Kansas City to Washington, DC (which was a little nerve-wracking as my co-traveler was also flying for the first time), I started to gain confidence on how to navigate airports in a timely fashion. 

I've had the privilege of flying to DC, Atlanta, Spain, Chicago, Denver, Portland, Orlando, Rome, and China (and probably a couple others that I am forgetting.) Compared to my first time flying my nerves are much more in check. 

Now I really don't stress too terribly much about missing my flight because I do all I can to plan accordingly. But there is one place in the airport my blood pressure tends to rise. 

The security line. 

Yes, I am THAT girl. The closer I get to the front of the line, the more thoughts are racing through my head. I am strategizing on how to keep my boarding pass on my person while ripping off my shoes and/or belt, emptying my pockets, unpacking my laptop as I gracefully walk through the metal detector trying not to look like a bumbling fool and tick off the person in line behind me. 

Meanwhile, other thoughts are racing through my head. "Where did I put my plastic baggie with 3 ounce liquids? Did I take my mini-pocket knife out of my purse? Are they going to confiscate my dried apple slices? Does a fingernail file count as a weapon?"

I also suffer from OPS... Overpacking Syndrome. I never fly without a carryon. If I did, it would eliminate a majority of the above thoughts/worries... But then I might  arrive at my destination without a spare set of clothes.  
This is how the Knobloch's travel... Rome to Home.
We were on our honeymoon. Can't you tell? ;-) 
I couldn't help but wonder if we are sometimes like this in our faith. Are we carrying too much baggage that in the end just weighs us down? The more baggage we carry around, whether it is insecurity, things from a past relationship or worry about future "stuff" the more likely Satan is going to be like the TSA agent who digs through your bag and finds that nail file. He will pick through our "baggage" and find the one thing that will bring us down and ruin our day.  

Jesus asks that when we are traveling with him to leave our baggage behind. Don't believe me? Check out what he says to his disciples in Matthew 10:9-10 as He is sending them out to the world: 

"Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep."

The Message version is even more direct:

"Don't think you have to put on a fund-raising campaign before you start. You don't need a lot of equipment. You are the equipment, and all you need to keep that going is three meals a day. Travel light."

If I was there as a disciple, I am sure I would the one in the back to raise my hand and say, "Um, Jesus? Yeah. Are you sure about this? I mean, I would really like to have a toothbrush and change of clothes. Oh, and what about my cell phone and charger? Jesus? Hey, where you going, man..." 

While we all may still choose to fly with a carryon, (hey, I trust Jesus way more than the airlines) we can travel luggage free with Christ. He gives us everything we need. He has called us to come on a journey with Him. So what about all that extra baggage? Yeah, lets go ahead and check it at the gate. 

Flying Free, 
SGK 

"Then Peter chimed in, "We left everything and followed you. What do we get out of it?" Jesus replied, "Yes, you have followed me. In the re-creation of the world, when the Son of Man will rule gloriously, you who have followed me will also rule, starting with the twelve tribes of Israel. And not only you, but anyone who sacrifices home, family, fields—whatever—because of me will get it all back a hundred times over, not to mention the considerable bonus of eternal life. This is the Great Reversal: many of the first ending up last, and the last first." --Matthew 19:27-30 (MSG)


No comments:

Post a Comment