Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Our Heart and Macaroni Art

I saw him from a distance. My heart started to pound. I smoothed my hair and gave myself a mental brownie point for wearing my favorite shirt. I considered moving closer to him... but he turned and started walking toward me. My breathing sped up. He was coming. He was beautiful. And I knew I belonged to him. 

Pretty romantic huh? Probably sounds like every chick flick ever produced. But I am not talking about anyone tall, dark and handsome (or blonde with blue eyes in my case.) I am talking about God. Our Father. Our One. 

Perhaps I should back up a little bit. God (obviously) loves us and woos us. Last week, I had a dream where God told me to fall back in love with Him. A few days later, I awoke in a panic, realizing that I hadn't had my official CRAVE time (quiet meditation) with Him at church in over a month (maybe even two!) I had been doing my daily Bible study during our leave vacation, but my heart wasn't really focused. My mind was all over the place, and I bet if you pick a page on my journal from the last two weeks, it will be pointless gibberish. 

So I needed to fall back in love with God and CRAVE Him. I was still working on my 1000 gift list, but He told me it wasn't enough. I prayed about it for the next few days and when we arrived back in Georgia, one of our first things to do (after unloading the car and sleeping) was to head to church. Confession: I was tired. Really didn't want to go. 

But I am sure glad I did. 

I arrived at CCC and was blown away. The worship song line up was incredible. (Good thing they didn't play Amazing Grace, or I would have been sobbing face down in the aisle.) I felt myself falling... back in love with God. Then the message sealed the deal. Why? Because for the first time in my experience at Christ Community, we actually had a mini CRAVE time. 

I realized that God wasn't asking me to do anything but receive His love. That in itself allowed me to fall back in love with Him. He met me there and swept me off my feet. Again. But we have to be attentive to Him and show Him that we care. All of the things we DO for our amazing God like prayer, petitioning, quiet time, worship etc seem so small compared to the beauty and glory that is our Bridegroom Jesus. 

But God is our father. And He adores our acts of love, as small as they might seem in our eyes. We are like the child, coming home from school and giving Dad a picture with dried out noodles on it. Our small actions are simply love in the form of macaroni art. He doesn't throw it out. He appreciates it and puts it on the fridge. 

The stores are already putting out Valentine's candy, so for the next month and a half the world will pushing THAT holiday (didn't we just finish UP a holiday season?) But the cards, flowers and candy don't mean as much as the macaroni art that we can give to God. 

It's a new year. How are you going to fall deeper in love with God? What kind of macaroni art are you going to make for Him in 2012? 

Receive Him. Fall deeply in love with Him. Give Him your heart and some "macaroni art." 

From the elbow (macaroni) to the heart, 
SGK 

"Get up, my dear friend, fair and beautiful lover—come to me!" Song of Solomon 2:10 (MSG)


Leave a comment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment