Thursday, December 1, 2011

We have... a Heart Condition

Do you know what really grinds my gears? 


The inaccuracy of the hand grip heart rate monitor things on the handles of treadmills. Are they EVER accurate? 

Ok, maybe I should slow down a little bit. I am really not THAT upset about it, but it just makes me think sometimes. Perhaps you can help. Maybe I am not gripping them right? Whenever I work out on a treadmill (or elliptical, bike, anything with the fancy-schmancy heart rate grippy things) it never, ever seems to be even close to accurate. 

It usually takes the majority of my workout to get a close to legit reading. I spend all that time trying to adjust my hands so it will show that I actually HAVE a pulse, and when it does, it gives some astronomical number on the verge of heart explosion. (I work hard, but not THAT hard. Seriously.)  Oh, and don't get me started on how I feel when it occasionally blinks judgmental messages of "Do not run while gripping handles." (Well if you would read my heart rate while I am walking/recovery, I wouldn't have to, you stinkin temperamental machine...

Here's the great news about that story. God is OUR heart monitor. And a very accurate one at that. He knows our heart. It's important to understand that regardless of what physical shape we are in, we ALL have a heart condition. 

That is symptom #4 of being a human. We have a heart condition. As much as we would like to deny it or argue, we have sin in our heart. While I would love to blame Adam and Eve for messing it up, let's be honest... If it wasn't them, it would have taken 13.43 seconds before someone else came along who would have thought the snake's ideas were great and screwed it all up. Oh, the "joys" of being a human. 
Our sins give us a heart condition. But God is constantly "monitoring" our heart, much more effectively and accurately than the treadmill example. He knows everything in there and we don't need surgery to clear the "blockages" (aka sin.) Why? Because we have Jesus!! (More on THAT tomorrow) 

If you haven't done so already and feel called, stop right now and ask Jesus into your heart. If you have already experienced that, then go ahead and ask Christ to continue clearing out the "junk." He will condition your heart. He will strengthen it. He will be your accurate, never-ending tool to monitor your "heart condition." 

Next time you are on the treadmill and you begin to argue with the heart rate grippy things, remember... Jesus has got your pulse. And He IS the cure for our heart condition!

Lub-dubbing along, 
SGK 

"As water reflects a face, so a man’s heart reflects the man." Proverbs 27:19

No comments:

Post a Comment