Wednesday, November 30, 2011

We have... Memory Loss

Think about your most prominent memory. Where were you? What time of year was it? Was it a good memory? A challenging experience? What type of details do you remember about it? 

Reminiscing can be a lot of fun. It might also be a little painful. Personally, my memories can be triggered by a location, sound, song, smell, person or experience. Some memories are so prominent that I literally get goosebumps-- it feels like I am traveling back in time, experiencing the specific event all over again. 

I don't want to brag, but I have a memory like a steel trap (much to my husbands occasional dismay: "How or WHY do you remember that, Sharita?!?)" I remember the most ridiculous things from kindergarten experiences, weird and random facts from some of my college classes and even  direct quotes of conversations I have had years ago. But even with this amazing memory, I still have memory loss... and often forget some of God's promises. 

Let's think about this for a second. We almost NEVER forget promises made by other people, especially when they don't come through for us. How many times (especially as children) do you remember saying "Heeeeyyyyy... YOU PROMISED?!?!" 

We don't forget the promises made by people in this world. But I always find myself saying "Whoops, sorry God... I forgot you already promised me that." God often says to me "Heeeyyyyy, Sharita... I PROMISED?!? Remember?"

Oh. Yeah. All those things I worry about or am uncertain about... yep. He already promised to help me out with it. God's multiple and never-failing promises can be found in His word.  His amazing promises are found in the Bible, in every book, every chapter. 

Concerned about your path? Check out Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. 

Don't know if God is involved in your life and knows what He is doing? Look at Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  

Unsure if all things that come from God are legit? Take a peek at Romans 8:28-- "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

God never promised it would be easy. But He said he will never stop loving. Never leave. Never forsake. His love never fails. It never runs out. It endures forever.  "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever." (Psalm 136:1) He PROMISED us this!! 

I vividly remember when and where I was the moment I began remembering parts of His word. I was parked outside of the Schnucks grocery store in Jefferson City, Mo in the winter of 2009, around 10:30pm. I did NOT want to go to work that night at midnight. I had brought my Bible with me and needed a reminder from God about His promises because I was in the middle of what would eventually become my recovery testimony. (Check out No Bologna Testimony Part 2 for the full story.) I forgot that God was in control and had a plan. 

I grabbed my Bible, trusting God to give me the reminder I needed.  I didn't have the verses memorized, but from the last few months of spending time in the word, I had a general recollection of where to look in the Bible. I (guided by the hand of God) narrowed it down to a book... then chapter... then read through and BOOM. Found the verse. "Ohhhh... NOW I remember. Thanks for that promise, God."  Memory: restored. 


Spend time in the word. Relish His promises. Overcome that memory loss. You never have to say "HEY GOD, YOU PROMISED." Instead, He says to us, "Hey you... I promised! TRUST ME." He ALWAYS comes through. And boom. No. More. Memory loss. 

Remembering fondly, 
SGK 

"O LORD, you are God! You have promised these good things to your servant." 1 Chronicles 17:26

If you would like to comment, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment