Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day Every day

Today's post is very simple. I didn't write this to simply jump on the bandwagon. It's Veteran's day... but for me, as a military spouse (and many of you spouses, parents, daughters, sons, aunts, uncles, friends, grandparent) EVERYDAY is Veteran's Day. 

My beloved has been in the army for nearly eight years. I've been in the picture about three of those (ish.)  It is rewarding. It is frustrating. It is cool. It is ever-changing. It is uncertain.  Big picture speaking, our veterans are an incredible blessing. 

A couple of days ago, I was trying to explain to a very deep-thinking politically-minded friend of mine the purpose behind some of the actions of our military... it isn't just political decisions or picking fights over petroleum. For many soldiers, especially my husband Brandon, it is much deeper than that. 

April 7. 2010... right of the
 planecoming home
from Iraq for leave...
He proposed. I said yes.
Honestly, I will never understand the full extent of what it means to fight for our country. Sure, we spouses deal with a lot when it comes to deployments, early mornings, late nights, changed schedules, holidays/special occasions missed etc. But I will never be able to grasp the feeling of honor, passion and nobility that comes with the job to which my husband is so dedicated. 

He trains when he is wet, tired, hungry, hot, cold, lonely, sick. Even more, he trains others under those conditions as well. Just so we can experience political freedom and safety that so many of us (myself included) take for granted. 

I have never been deployed. I haven't lived in a desert for more than a year on three separate occasions. I haven't been separated from my family for an extensive time period in a foreign country playing musical time zones. I have never missed funerals or weddings of family members due to being engaged in combat on foreign soil. I have never watched a battle buddy lose his life. I have never had to call my spouse to say that duty calls again and I won't be home yet. 

Brandon has. He fights for our country... yet at the same time he still fights for our marriage. All because his eyes never stray from looking up, focusing on Christ. I am thankful for MY veteran. 

August 5, 2010. He returned home from his third
tour in Iraq. This time, he came back to a fiance. 
It simply overwhelms me to think of the sacrifices that my husband and his battle buddies make daily. In our (almost) three year relationship, we have yet to spend a full Veteran's day together. Freedom knows no holiday. He's hard at work today, training "baby soldiers" in basic training as we speak and I am en route to Kansas to visit family. 

I feel remarkably blessed to have a chance to love and support such a wonderful man, and have a man who loves and supports ME! While I have slept alone more nights than I can count, cried more than I would like to admit, consumed more chocolate (and wine) than I should have, yelled at God more often (and louder) than necessary, it's all been worth it. Because I have also cried tears of joy, had so many reunion butterflies in my stomach I though I would float away, and understand at a deep level the value of our time together.  

Through it all, God's love for me has never changed. And neither has Brandon's... It's only grown stronger. 

Today, I am thankful that I have the freedom to write this, to say what I want. I have more freedoms than I honestly know what to do with. For the most part, I can do what I want, when I want to do it.  All because of the countless sacrifices that people (soldiers and wives/families alike) have made defending our great nation. As the saying goes: "All gave some, some gave all." 

October 2, 2010... It's official. 
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. Once died for your soul, the other died for your freedom. 

11-11-11 isn't the only day that I am thankful for veterans. For me, as an army spouse and Christian, I am thankful for soldiers AND Jesus... because for me, everyday is Veteran's Day. 

American by birth, Christian by the Grace of God,
SGK 

"And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." Hebrews 10:10
April 1, 2011. My beloved adds "Drill Sergeant" to his
Army Resume as he graduates Drill School at Fort Jackson, SC.
We moved to Georgia in May... and here we are! 

No comments:

Post a Comment