Wednesday, October 19, 2011

See.. and Be... COURAGEOUS!

I am not now and do not predict that I will ever become a movie critic. But that's the great part about doing your own blog-- you can kind of write about what you want. Definitely exercising that privilege today! :-)

This last Sunday night, my beloved and I went to see the movie "Courageous." Here are the reasons that this is "big" news: 

1) We almost never go to the movies. 
2) When we do go, we usually go in the middle of the afternoon or early evening, not prime time. Apparently, movies are expensive. 
3) We actually agreed that we both wanted to see the movie (I was already convinced that I wanted to go, but he agreed after seeing the movie trailer played at church) Oh, and sidenote on this point: We RARELY agree on movies/TVs... So this was a big deal. (Granted, if cinematic adventure selection is the biggest rift in our marriage, I'm ok with that.) 

So we went. Due to our slightly modified Sunday schedule, we ended up going late... but our hang out time is running out as he picks up cycle in a couple of weeks, I will rarely see him and I will depart for a visit to KS. So we went anyways-- and it was AWESOME. 

I don't want to give away too much of the story line because I would hate to ruin it... and while some pieces of the movie are kinda-sorta predictable (show me a legit movie that isn't semi-foreshadowing) it provides a lot of great surprises and tugs on the heartstrings. You might cry... I did, two tears, and it took a lot of focus to keep it together and avoid getting hysterical. (Dang Holy Spirit tears!) But feel free to let it all out-- the girl sitting in front of me was sobbing pretty hilariously ;-) 

Oh, and one other thing before I get to the "meat" of this post... "Courageous" really stepped up the quality of acting, script and believability when compared to other Christian films like "Fireproof" and "Facing the Giants." (Both of those films were great too-- but the acting was a little eh.) 

The bottom line is that it is a "Christian" flick, and has a great message about fathers stepping up and committing to their families, biblically based. (Even though we aren't parents to anyone but a puppy yet, it was still inspiring for both of us!) The men in the movie stepped forward... courageously... and signed a resolution. It went a little something like this: 
******
THE RESOLUTION

I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.

I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.

I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.

I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.

I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.

I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.

I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.

I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.

I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.

I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.

I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.

I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. – Joshua 24:15
*******
Intense right? I definitely left the theater feeling inspired, empowered and encouraged... Obviously that feeling has stuck with me if I am blogging about it on Wednesday. It's a fantastic message about the father/son relationship in the eyes of God... but there is a deeper message that ALL of us can take to heart. 

Sometimes honoring God and keeping our eyes focused on him isn't easy. He might call us to do something that requires more courage that we believe we can muster. But that's what is so wonderful about our God-- He gives us the courage to step out and make a commitment in His name. 

Has God called you to make a deeper commitment to someone, something or simply HIM lately? He sure has for me. "Hey Sharita-- I need you to go ahead and marry this soldier I've picked out for you, then quit your job, follow him to a new time zone where it is just you, your husband and ME. Oh, and instead of getting a full time job on post, ask your new church to create a non-paying internship for you so you can enter into ministry." And instead of just leaving me hanging in my potential panic, He adds this little afterthought: 
"Trust me. I love you. You can do it-- through me!" 

Courage comes in so many different forms. It might be similar to the scenario I presented above. Maybe it is making a new commitment to your family by signing a resolution. Think about the areas in YOUR life that God has called you to be courageous. He has called you to it... but He is faithful and will do it! 

Need some inspiration to make it happen?  Go SEE... and BE... COURAGEOUS! 

Courageously at work, 
SGK 

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”-- Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment