Monday, August 1, 2011

A Precious Title

Yes, it is true America-- I have joined the blogging world. I have debated for a couple of years about taking this step and kept talking myself out of it. But out of obedience to God per His incessant, um, "nudging" the last several days, here we are.

I will take a few minutes in a subsequent post to give you lovely readers a "life update" to catch you completely up to speed on where I am (Fort Benning, GA) and what I am doing (stuff with things.) This post is to set some context on the title "More Precious than Rubies."

God told me to title it that way. The end. That's it. (Where is my Easy Button?) Just kidding. But seriously. While he was nudging me in this direction, I asked if He really wanted me to do this to help me with a title. Long story still long, He led me to the Bible. Many of you might be familiar with the verse from Proverbs 31:10 "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies." Fantastic, I thought. That WAS easy! But honestly, I wasn't quite satisfied. This blog isn't just about my role as a wife-- that would leave all of my potential dude readers out. Had to dig a little deeper... 

Throughout the day, I did intermittent research and found that the word "rubies" appears 8 times in the NIV Bible (fun fact for dinner table discussion tonight.) I was eventually led to the main verse you see on the page header as Proverbs 8:10-11 as "Choose my instruction rather than silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her." (Please note: "my" instruction is not meant to be mine, as in Sharita-lo-quita-jo-mama's... I think sticking with God's instruction is MUCH safer and more reliable, so please pray He speaks through my fingertips.) 

I was relatively convinced, but continued to marinate on the title "More Precious Than Rubies." Could be very life-applicable, I thought. I don't know about you, but as a sinner I continually struggle with what is really "precious" in this life... Loving things in this world seems to be kind of an issue. So I might be able to write about overcoming struggles in life, maybe offer some hope via reminder's of God's grace. The wheels were turning. 

The idea was solidified over the next 24 hours as I realized that I was doing this "marinating" during the month of July, which had been a crazy-awesome month of transformation for me. Guess what July's birthstone is? The ruby. Then I realized I could capture my roots, because I am from Kansas: Ruby Red Slippers. (No, my puppy is NOT named Toto... He is known as Sweet Justus.)

Finally, I realized that the word "precious" could even capture my sarcastic side. I am known to occasionally use the word "precious" in a slightly sardonic way, like when the army makes a decision I don't understand or I come into the living room to discover that Justus is devouring yet another clicky-eversharp pencil, which is the only thing he actually chews up. SIGH. "Isn't that PRECIOUS??"


And here we are. I truly pray that you find these future blogs about God, life, marriage, and who-knows-what-else "More Precious Than Rubies." (And I mean the legit "precious," not my sarcastic "precious.") 

For His Glory, 
~SGK 

"I will make your battlements of rubies, your gates of sparkling jewels, and all your walls of precious stones. All your sons will be taught by the Lord, and great will be your children's peace." ~Isaiah 54:12-13

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog, my love! Truly an informative article... ALTHOUGH I am now wise to your meaning of "precious" and will watch out for it in the future :-)

    ReplyDelete