Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Little Big Conversation

I have learned over the years that I am a talker... Making small-talk, chattering away, sometimes talking very fast dominate my conversations. Fortunately over the years of maturing, I have learned to slow down (a little) and shut up (on occasion... still a work in progress.)

Part of this conversation development over the years has been found in my ability to talk to the Lord. We all have the ability to talk to him any time, any place. Some folks think that it has to be some flowery prayer, with a lot of "thous" and "thees" and "doeth" etc... If that is a comfortable method for you, go for it. But if you are a little more casual, we can have a "normal" and informal conversation. We all can have a personal relationship with Jesus, so it doesn't have to be showy or involve using the right vocabulary words.

As an army wife recently moved to a new location, I have learned that talking to God is even more important. My little-big conversations with Him happen anywhere and at some random times. I talk to him while I am jogging with my dog, while I am grooming for the days activities, when I am driving in the car, sitting in my chair in the living room, getting ready to sleep, when I wake up in the morning. I don't say these things to sound righteous and legit in my prayer life (I have a VER Y long way to go, trust me)-- but as a woman who is at a new army post with no extremely close friends to talk to (yet), it brings me comfort to have someone to talk to while my husband is gone/out on the trail training baby privates how to make good life decisions. I have a friend in Jesus, one that lets me talk as much/little as I want, about anything.

So what can prayers look/sound like in our little-big conversations with Him? A great place to start is in Scripture in the Psalms. There are three primary types of Psalms that I have learned about: Praise, lament and petition/protection. I don't know about you all, but all three of those can apply to me on any given day. Praise is pretty self explanatory as they are primarily giving thanks. Lament can be the conversations of "Why God why?" or "This is really lame sauce, man." Then petition is a plea for guidance, protection from enemies (The Enemy?) etc. Some Psalms stick to just one category, while others can be a mixture of two or three.

We can talk to God without fear, pouring from our heart whether it is a praise, lament or petition. He is a big boy and can handle our crying, yelling, stomping, pain, laughter, joy, hope, requests all at once. Plus, it is therapeutic for us personally. Prayer is an act of faith, showing that we believe in his sovereignty.

What is on your heart today? Are you in need for a good conversation? Go on, get chatty. Just ask him "Hear my prayer, O God; listen to the words of my mouth." (Psalm 54:2) Spill your guts. He is a great listener. Enjoy your little-big conversation with Him.

Oh... and how can I pray for you today? Facebook, Tweet or message me.  (I can never have too much to talk to God about :-)

Thankful for His listening ears.
SGK

"My mouth will speak in praise of the LORD. Let every creature praise his holy name for ever and ever." -- Psalm 145:21

No comments:

Post a Comment