Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Deep Fried & Covered in Chocolate

Living in the south makes me hungry! (Can you say Paula Deen??)

Correction.... Living in the United States makes me hungry! (ORDER UP!)

Additional Correction... Living makes me HUNGRY! (Om nom nom)

I love to eat. Maybe you do too. It has evolved from a necessary means of survival to a social event, a cultural experience and and a daily conversation (argument?) among people. "What's for supper? Where do you want to eat?" Oftentimes, it is a daily battle to stay focused on the "big picture" of staying healthy and eating "properly." (Let's be honest... many of us wouldn't really have an issue with eating fried chicken, mashed potatoes and chocolate cake every day if we knew it wouldn't lead us down a scary path! If I had the metabolism of a 3 yr old, you bet I would partake!)

I try to behave myself (ish) when it comes to consuming calories and chowing down on a daily basis. Sure, I splurge every now and then, but over the past few years I have learned my lesson about the lasting impact of eating anything, anytime, in any amount. The great news is that while yes, I still occasionally crave something deep fried and covered in chocolate (insert drool moment here), God has led me to feast daily on a different kind of food... with no guilt included.

God is the Ultimate Chef to cook for and feed our spirit. He guides us, grows us and lets us gain pleasure from our spiritual food. Without him, things in life would taste pretty bland. "A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? (Ecclesiastes 2:24-25) Sometimes our spiritual food comes easily through music, prayer, reflection or reading. Other times, especially when we (ok, me) are distracted by things of this world, we have work a little harder to get that spiritual food.

Why do we need to feed our own spirit? Because it not only grows us "big and strong" and is "good for us," (sounds like my growing up days and battles with lima bean consumption) but it helps us to mature as believers. "But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." (Hebrews 5:14)

God invites us to feast with Him daily, for every meal, anywhere. He grants us this privilege and freedom through his love and grace. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." Let's join in His bountiful buffet of His love! It is such a smorgasbord, it makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Just like physical food, spiritual food can in many forms, in many portions. Take a few moments and think about how you would like your spiritual food served. Where can you find it? How often do you feast on food for YOUR spirit? Are you eating your fill?


Let's eat daily at his banquet through prayer, thankfulness, fellowship and studying His word. It's a "free" meal for us, already paid for in advance by the Cross. Your reservation is booked. Your spirit is hungry. You don't have to count calories. Oh, and I have heard that the dessert menu features a variety of delectable dishes... many of which are deep fried and covered in chocolate.

That's my kinda soul food.

SGK

“Come, eat my food and drink the wine I have mixed. Leave your simple ways and you will live; walk in the way of understanding." Proverbs 9:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment