Wednesday, August 31, 2011

No More Cornflakes

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I feel like my faith is flakier than a box of Kellogg's  Corn Flakes.

I would love to say that I am strong pillar of faith, unshakable, undoubting at all times. But then that would be a lie. And last I checked, lying is a sin. True, I never lose faith that God exists, but sometimes I forget (doubt? worry about?) HIS faithfulness and sovereignty. Just last week during my morning quiet time at the kitchen table, I was studying Romans 4 where it was discussing Abraham's faith and salvation through righteousness, not works. Before I could stop myself, I was praying for God to give me faith like Abraham.


Then, midway through the prayer, I panicked. Literally. I remembered all of the things that God commanded Abraham to do, including the near-sacrifice of his son Issac. I freaked out!! I tried to take back my prayer. God, I can't handle anything that big. Developing faith involves potentially scary stuff. I was just kidding. Please cancel my request. 

THEN I realized the ridiculousness of my "please disregard my previous prayer." Why shouldn't I want faith like Abraham? Sure he was challenged and much was asked of him, but seriously, MUCH was given in return.  Where was my faith?

It turns out that as a woman, my natural flesh allows the enemy to sneak in doubt, fear and worry when it comes to our faith in God. Amidst homework, blogging, devotional writing this week, I felt very (surprisingly) calm with my busy schedule-- then actually caught myself starting to worry that I wasn't worried! Seriously, Satan? BACK OFF.

We have to lean on our Father at all times, because he gives us the weapons needed to combat the enemy. We can come away with Him daily and know that He is, was, and will forever be faithful to us. He can and will leave us without worry, and their will be no more "cornflakes" for breakfast (or any other time of day for that matter)

Do you have the courage to pray for faith like Abraham? What worries or doubts are keeping you from it? Ask  for His strength and glory to shine down on you... He will take away your fear,  and replace it with faith.

Say no to the "cornflakes" in our faith. Let's chow down on God's Promises for breakfast instead. 

SGK

"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment