Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mistaken Identity

Who am I?

This is a question I have pondered all my life. Some days the answer seems rather clear, other times I got nothing.  Somedays I feel as if I am 27 different people. I have always heard about having your identity in Christ. I honestly assumed that I did. But truly, I didn't know what it meant until this last Sunday in church. I watched our healthy church support and love on a church leader who had to suddenly step down from his position in order to redefine his identity in Christ. It was an incredible act of obedience and courage. Amazing.



I got to thinking... Where does my identity lie? Then BOOM, lightbulb moment. The last few years have been God transitioning me to a place where my identity is found FULLY in Christ Jesus. My identity used to be within my friends and network. Well, life happens, we graduate, move to different states and poof, daily best friend time, gone. God was still my daily friend.  It used to lie in a career of making money. My first "big kid" job was a wake up call that sometimes the cash just isn't worth it. I quit. But I was still a daughter of Christ.  Fell in love-- he deployed, so my identity couldn't solely fall as an army girlfriend (or not now as an army wife either.) But God romanced me daily.  My love of bragging about my leadership accomplishments? Oh snap, God calls me into ministry and humbles me to let Him guide me. He blessed my obedience.

"Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you." --Matthew 5:48
It is not about what I have done or what I aim to do. It is about Him. The one, the ONLY thing in my entire being that cannot be stripped away by man or God is my identity in Christ. It is my own. He desires for me to identify with Him and allow my entire self to revolve around the cross on the hill. His sacrifice allows me to have a true identity... One that will NEVER be mistaken.

Do you have a mistaken identity? Where does your heart live? In what ways can turn more to Him, allowing Him to shine his light into your identity?

In Christ,
SGK

No comments:

Post a Comment